There are a lot of incidents in everyone’s life when they do some heavy exercise, muscle cramps do happen. There is no need to worry as the pain is temporary for just a few days. But with some exercises and tips, you can get rid of muscle cramps overnight and make sure that they never happen again.
A cramping muscle can be made relax when stretched in a correct position. Stretching warm muscles on daily basis can lengthens muscle fibers so they can contract and be made tighten during exercise and by this you will feel less cramping. A stretch should never be feel painful. If you feel a sudden, sharp feeling then you should not stretch and relax.
- To do a calf cramp, start by standing on your feet set apart, by placing the affected leg in front of the other. Now lean all of your body weight toward your front leg, bending slightly at the knee. Keep the heels of both your feet on the floor. Hold this position for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Another calf stretch is like this start by seating with both legs extended together in front of your body. Hold the feet in a relaxed position, and try to keep your back straight all the time. Place hands on the floor on the outside of each leg. Gently slide forward, leaning toward your feet. When you reach the edge of the curve, hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Stretch your one thigh at one time. Standing, raise one foot towards your buttocks, and bend your knees. Now, hold your raised leg by your ankle or back of your foot. After this try to pull close as much as you can to your buttocks, stretching the whole thigh muscle, and hold the position for 30 seconds. If you want you can use a chair or wall to balance yourself.
You can also apply heat and cold pack
To soothe a cramping muscle you can apply a cold or a heated pressing. Apply cold or heat for about 20 minutes to get rid of pain. But remember never apply a cold pack or ice directly to your skin — first be sure to wrap it in a towel or any piece of clothe. Also be careful when you are using hot heat in bed. Falling asleep with a heating pad on can cause a fire and yes that is true we are not kidding.
Points to remember
- If you are using a hot shower for muscle cramps, direct the water so that it flows right towards the affected area. If the pressure of your water is high than it can be beneficial as it will give messaging benefit.
- Always keep in mind that ice works way better than heat on injuries. If you are in deep pain and you feel hot then use ice. Always use heat for muscles which are sore due to some chronic pain or huge stress.
Massage The Cramped Muscle
If your cramped muscle are in an area in which your hands cannot reach , such as your legs or your back then try to massage it. Hold your thigh muscles hard and tightly, massage it deeply and for a sufficient time so that it can relax.
- It can be very beneficial if you have a person who can massage your cramped muscles can be a huge help for you to get rid of the pain. It is not at all necessary that the person have to be a trained massage person. Sometimes massaging deeply the cramped area can be a he help.
- A massage should not be hurtful. If your muscles are tightly agitated by cramping, then certain types of massages can cause you injury. Never ever continue massaging if your muscles hurt or pain.
- A massage therapist works wonder and help you with deep tissue relaxation, and also a therapeutic treatment of the muscle cramps. If your cramped muscles do not respond to your own treatment like massaging etc then you might consider seeing a professional therapist or even a doctor.
- You can also try foam-rolling as it is great and releases pain. Just place the foam roller beneath your affected area. Roll over all it , apply some gentle pressure, for about five to ten minutes. That is it. You can do this exercise for as long as you want there is no side effects to it.
Try Medication To Help With The Pain
Over-the-counter medicines such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) can be effective at relieving pain which are caused by cramped muscles.
Try Home Remedies
If the above mentioned methods are not beneficial then try some home remedies. Make sure to try all of the listed home remedies.
- First pour half a cup of Epsom salt in a half tub and keep your cramped muscles for twenty minutes.
- Mix some wintergreen oil and four tablespoon of vegetable oil. Massage the oil into the cramped muscle before bed.
- According to some studies vitamin E is really good for your cramped muscles.
Drink More Water
Other thing which can be prevented and is a cause of cramped muscles is dehydration. You should try to drink water before, during, and after exercise. However, not drinking enough water throughout the entire day can also lead to muscle cramps.
- You should try to drink 16 – 24 sips of water at least an hour before working out. The reason behind this is that it will ensure that your body is hydrated throughout your workout.
- Keep water within reach during your workout.
- After doing exercise follow it with drinking more water. You can also drink a sports drink which contains electrolytes.
Change Your Eating Habits
Another reason behind muscle cramps is that it can be caused by unbalanced electrolytes, such as calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium. If you are getting muscle cramps more often then try changing your diet for starters.
Points to remember
- It is not a good idea to self-treat with supplements. You should consult a doctor before starting to eat any kind of supplements.
- Make sure you are eating an hour before your work out session or exercise.
Stretch Your Quads
Before any kind of work out your quads should be stretched out. To start you can stand next to a chair or a wall for balance. Lift one feet up and move your heels towards your buttocks, then grab your heel with your hand. Try to hold this position for a minimum thirty seconds.
Stretch Your Calves
Before doing any kind of aerobic activity such as running, make sure to stretch your calves before. This is how you can perform it! Place your one leg before the other and lean against a wall. Bend the knee of your leg and while you do this stretch your leg behind and hold this for ten to twenty seconds and repeat this exact same with other leg.
Also Target your Hamstrings
If you are going to do those exercises which affects your muscle then you should target your hamstrings too. How? You can start with sitting on ground with your back straight and then stretch both the legs. Slide your hands in front of you and try to stretch as much as yo can.