What is Dandruff ?
According to Wikipedia, Dandruff is the falling of skin cells which are dead from the scalp. As skin cells die a little flaking is normal! About 487,000 cells/cm2 gets normally released. But shedding of dead cells in a large amount is not so cool. Not just shedding it will come along with redness and irritation. To put this in simple words, Dandruff happens when our skin is exfoliating, and it is perfectly normal for our skin to exfoliate. Dandruff is the most common scalp disorder and affects half of the population at the post – pubertal age. The main sign of it is that dandruff cause itching. Dandruff start only after puberty, it is very rare to hit before puberty ( like very very rare ). Hey! But the good news is that it decreases with age yes, (at least something decreases with age). Dandruff gets affected by different seasons. In winter it hits the most people.
Why it happens ?
There are a lot of reasons behind the formation of dandruff. Dandruff can happen due to the following reasons :
- Dry skin.
- Not cleaning dandruff properly / scrubbing it properly.
- Using a lot of shampoo.
- What is Psoriasis ?
- These skin patches are normally red in color, itchy and scaly. They may vary in symptoms in some cases it can cover a person whole body but in other just scalp.
- What is Eczema ?
- Eczema is also known as Dermatitis, is a group of disease that results in inflammation of the skin. These diseases are characterized by itchiness, red patches on skin, and a rash. This disease can last for a short as well as long period of time too. Eczema affects about ten to twenty percent of infants and just three percent of adults.
- Your skin can be sensitive to certain products.
- Yeast – like fungus – Malassezia.
- What is Malassezia ?
- Malassezia is a genus of fungi. Malassezia occurs naturally. Though they are natural but they can cause skin disease also. It can grow on face, hands and scalp.
- Irritated / oily skin.
- Mental stress.
- Not enough shampooing.
- How to apply shampoo properly ?
- Start with a rinse and if you have long hair then condition your hair first! After a minute or two apply shampoo but gently. After properly washing your hair wash it with cold water.
- Reaction to some shampoos ( products ).
Out of all this causes having dry skin is the most common reasons of dandruff. As the epidermal layers keeps on pushing itself, cells are pushed outside where they eventually die and flake off. Sometimes these flakes are too small to notice even. Normally, a person who do not have any dandruff, his / her dead skin cells sheds every month but those who have dandruff their cells sheds after every week which leads to a lot of flakes A.K.A, dandruff falling.
According to a study, dandruff happens due to three main facts and these are the following:
- Skin oil known as “sebum”, or “sebaceous secretions”.
- A person own sensitivity level and allergies.
Risk factors to keep in my mind always :
Age : Dandruff usually continues till middle age. But for some people the problem can be life long.
Being a male : According to one study, male gets dandruff more than women. It is assumed that due to a male hormone dandruff takes place more often.
What are it’s symptoms ?
Detecting dandruff is not a hard thing to do any body can know if they have dandruff. Well, the most common signs of having dandruff is itchy scalp. Red and greasy patches of skin which you can feel while combing your hair is also a common signs of dandruff.
Why hair starts falling off after getting dandruff ?
This is a thing which every person wants an answer to.
How can you get rid of dandruff ?
There are many ways to get rid of dandruff.
You can professional products
Try those shampoos which contains zinc or salicylic acid
If your dandruff is severe, means a lot of damage has been done already! You should try a anti – dandruff shampoos that contain certain ingredients that kill the fungi which is partly responsible for dandruff. You can easily find these types of shampoos at any store or market. For example : Head and shoulders, clean and clear and pantene etc etc. To be more sure, look out for shampoos which contain the following ingredients :
- Zinc pyrithione: This particular substance helps in killing the malassezia fungi that is partially responsible for the development of dandruff. You can find zinc pyrithione in head and shoulders.
- Salicylic acid: This ingredients helps to soften dead skin cells on your scalp, causing them to shed and release from your scalp and is found in neutrogena. But before you try this shampoo let me tell you this that you may feel dryness on your scalp for a while. So, to avoid this you can use a conditioner after you do your shampooing.
- Selenium sulfide: This particular ingredient helps to slow down the production of skin cells on your scalp and kill dandruff causing fungi.
- Ketoconazole shampoo: This particular shampoo has a powerful anti fungal effect that can treat and also prevent dandruff. This ingredient can be found in Neutragena.
- Coal tar shampoo: This shampoo can help slow down the production of dead skin cells and like the above mentioned shampoo can prevent dandruff. This ingredient is found in Nizoral.
Points to remember
- You should never ever use this kind of anti – dandruff shampoo if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Always read the label on a shampoo bottle. And discuss with your doctor if you have any concerns.
Always apply the shampoo the “Right” way!
After deciding which anti – dandruff shampoo you are going to use the next curious and significant step is to read the label and instructions which are given behind the shampoo bottle. If you do not apply or use it properly then using it bears no benefit. You can apply these shampoos once a day. Do not stop using them until your dandruff goes away properly. The only shampoo which you have to apply twice is the Ketoconazole shampoo.
Points to remember
- Smoothly rub the shampoo all over your scalp and leave it on for at least five minutes, so that it can do it’s work. If you think that a shampoo is not showing results after one or two wash do not think twice and change your shampoo.
- And if a shampoo is working on your skin then use it just thrice a week.
- But if nothing works on your scalp and your dandruff is very much there and then you should definitely visit a doctor.
Use creams to treat your dandruff
In addition to anti – dandruff shampoos, you can also try medicated creams which claim to cure dandruff. There is no harm in it. Following are the two creams which you can use:
- Corticosteroid creams: This cream can reduce any inflammation and also dry skin. You can buy this cream from any store in 0.5 or 1 percent concentrations. You can use them after you have washed your hair with one of your anti – dandruff shampoo.
- Antifungal creams: These creams are very effective as this kills they kill or reduce the amount of yeast organisms living on your scalp. You can apply anti – fungal cream twice a day.
Home remedies to get rid of dandruff
Yes, you can get rid of dandruff by using things or products which are present in your house.
Why aspirin…? Aspirin because it contains salicylates and salicylic acid which are an active ingredient in anti – dandruff shampoo. Aspirin is an easy and quick way to get rid of dandruff at home.
Points to remember
- Take two tablets of aspirin and crush them properly. Then add the paste to your shampoo.
- Apply the shampoo containing aspirin and rub it smoothly all over scalp and let it sit for two to three minutes.
- Wash your hair again with just shampoo to remove the left powder of aspirin from your scalp.
Use natural oil
Natural oil like coconut oil, almond oil and olive oil. All these oil can help your scalp to be moist and prevent the development of dandruff.
Points to remember
- Warm a small amount of your chosen natural oil, do not boil it. And then gently massage it all over your scalp.
- Use a warm towel to wrap up your hair and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, rinse your hair out removing the oil.
Apply apple cider vinegar
As we told you earlier that apple cider vinegar is a natural astringent and can prevent your scalp from getting dandruff causing fungi. You can rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar after washing your hair.
Points to remember
- You have to mix two cups of cold water with apple cider vinegar.
- Bend over a sink and and rinse your hair with the mixture.
- You can also rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar and wrap your hair in towel, wash it the day after.
Use baking soda
Baking soda is a great way to get rid of dandruff at home.
Points to consider
- Instead of using a shampoo you can use baking soda to wash your hair. Simply take a handful of baking soda and rub it smoothly all over your scalp and then wash it with warm water.
- You can use baking soda instead of anti – dandruff shampoo to get rid of dandruff permanently.
How to prevent dandruff ?
Wash your hair regularly
Practicing good hygiene can help you prevent the development of dandruff and keep your scalp plus your hair healthy. Try to wash your hair once a day, especially if you have oily scalp.
Do not use hair spray or gel
Products which claim to style your hair are in fact giving you dandruff! Styling products like hair spray, gel, mousses, and hair wax can lead to a build up of oil in your scalp which leads to the development of dandruff in your hair. Do not use these products if you already have oily scalp or dandruff.
Spend some time in sunshine
Studies have shown that spending some time in sunshine can help you prevent dandruff. But the same does not apply to your body so always apply sunscreen cream whenever you plan to take a sunbath on your whole body.
Maintain your stress
Stress has been found to trigger dandruff and is considered as a reason of dandruff. So, find out the main cause behind your stress and find measures to control it. it may be the main reason behind your dandruff.
Maintain a healthy diet
As we have already told you that one of the cause of dandruff is eating non – healthy food. Include those food in your diet which are healthy for your health as well which can fight your dandruff.
Besides taking care of your hair by properly cleansing, washing and using hair products your diet, what you eat on regular basis is also important. You can eat food which promotes hair growth and make your hair stronger. Following is a list of food which can strengthen your hair:
Eat fish: Eat food which are rich in zinc like walnuts, salmon, cashews, pecans, almonds, and oysters. Eat all of them to prevent hair loss.
Food filled with biotin: Make sure to eat food filled with biotin such as beans and eggs. These food prevent brittle hair.
Get healthy scalp: Food which contain selenium like nuts and nuts butter are necessary for a healthy scalp.
Make sure to eat B 12: A diet filled with vitamin B 12 will promote hair growth so make sure to eat food items which contain B 12 in them. Food such as shellfish, chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs all of these contain B 12.
Veggies and vitamin A: Yes, food which are filled with Vitamin a promote hair growth such as cheese, eggs, carrots and spinach as well as eat food which are rich in vitamin C to produce sebum body natural conditioner.
Milk and calcium: Food which contain calcium like milk, yogurt, cheese, broccoli, sesame seeds, and spinach are very much needed for hair growth.